Sunday 5 February 2012

The Illusionist (2010) Directed by Sylvain Chomet

I was lucky enough to have been given 'The Illusionist' (2010) as a Christmas present and must say it was excellent - the animation, the background scenery and the narrative - nothing was a let down for me - I absolutely loved watching it. 



Above are some still shots from the animation, where you can see the beautifully drawn and atmospheric scenes.

The animation is based on a script by Jacques Tati. Director Sylvain Chomet gained permission to adapt it into The Illusionist from Tati's family and Chomet based the main character Monsieur Tatischeff on Jacques Tati himself.

'The result is utterly distinctive and beguiling, with its own language and grammar of innocence: gentle, affectionate, whimsical, but deeply felt and with an arrowhead of emotional pain.' (Bradshaw 2010).
I agree with the above quote entirely - I could not have put it any better myself! I borrowed this quote from a blog that I came across and where I viewed a really good review - Lavey's Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment