Tuesday 26 July 2011

Using Flash to make apps

I've been searching to find some info on how to turn Flash animations into apps. I haven't been too successful in locating a lot of information. I know that there has been an issue with Adobe & Apple, but it has supposedley been resolved now, I think!  I went onto Lynda.com and had a look at some tutorials, one was based on a simple game - not exactly what I want to do; but just to attempt to get the idea of how to integrate into an i-pad/phone.  The tutorial was by Todd Perkins and he discusses the problems with older devices viewing Flash animations and said that the animations must be kept extremely simple ~ this has worried me because although I will need to keep a certain simplicity within the animation, I did not want the visual to be that simplistic!  I was also considering incorporating mixed media and this could compicate the issue further :(.  Looking at Todd Perkins' simplistic style, I can say that this is not the way to go for me and there is hardly any animation in this and on testing this game, some people were having problems viewing it....


Sk8bit - Todd Perkins' game app
I went on a HTML5 course at work recently and after all the ongoing HTML5 hype, we were hoping for more intuitive use of Canvas, but currently, it is all based on code. You have to have an excellent knowledge of HTML & JavaScript - way beyond me and the others on the course actually.  Apple have been promoting HTML5 as an alternative to Flash..... not yet, nor in the near future, I don't think - not unless you are a competent coder! 

No comments:

Post a Comment